In 1911, a group of nine local businessmen, led by Fred P. Cone, met to discuss business in Columbia County. Their objective: To open a new bank that would offer friendly, neighborhood service, good enough to last a lifetime. That bank was Columbia Bank. Opening in February of 1912 with $50,000 in capital, Columbia Bank has grown to be one of the oldest and strongest financial institutions in Florida, with its roots firmly planted in Columbia County for almost 100 years.
Cone, who would later become Governor of Florida, wanted to aid Lake City and Columbia County into becoming a more attractive, desirable, and wholesome place to raise a family. Columbia Bank grew with Lake City during Mr. Cone’s leadership until 1947.
From 1948 to 2000, Columbia Bank continued to grow and prosper under the guidance of the Summers and Green families. The bank opened Columbia County’s first drive-in during the 1950’s, moved in to its current home on Hillsboro Street during the 1970’s, opened the first full-service supermarket bank in Florida during the 1980’s, and offered extended banking hours during the 1990’s while being named “Best Bank” by the readers of the local newspaper, and a five-star institution for seven consecutive years.
Columbia County Bank became Columbia Bank effective July 1st, 2006. Two 4200 square foot branches were opened in 2001 and 2004 to better serve south and western Lake City respectively. Finally, a holding company, First Columbia Bancorp, was established.
From its humble beginnings, Columbia Bank has grown into a solid financial institution. Our combination of local ownership, genuine concern for our community, and respect for each of our customers sets us apart from the rest.